14.1.11

BBC Devon Gets Political

This is my first post back on terra firma in (grey and wet) Blighty. Over the next few weeks I'll be writing about my incredible travels around Japan from Moe cafés to my obsession with taiyaki and much, much more. I don't know how I'm going to edit down all the events and photos that I accumulated... maybe a travel guide is on the cards for 2011?... but until then, I must post the very good news that I received while I was in the Land of the East.
With yesterday's launch of Politics in Print at the gallery space in Exeter Phoenix, I was thrilled the BBC's Jemima Laing has written a feature about the exhibition that has been touring Devon County since last September with the inclusion of both my own quotes and a detail of Semper Fidelis. Click here for the article on BBC Devon and visit my own press release here to find out more about the background to my work which was commissioned by Devon County Council and Double Elephant Print Workshop in response to the political resources from Devon Record Office in Exeter. Special thanks to Katherine Weston from the Record Office who has tirelessly publicised the exhibition. I hope to make it down to the space which I first visited at the very beginning of the commission (Ex Marks The Spot, June 2010) - be sure to keep up to date for more details and documentation at jonathanvelardi.blogspot.com in the coming weeks.

Politics in Print is now on show in Gallery 1 at Exeter Phoenix through to the 30th January 2011. As part of the Eye Opener Discussion series, 'Politics in Print & Hopes & Fears' will take place on Wednesday the 19th January at 10.45am - for more details on the exhibition and gallery opening times click here. Many thanks again to Jemima - have a great weekend everyone!
Semper Fidelis, 2010