23.11.10

Art Worship

Hello everyone! This has to be the longest pause from my blog I have ever had - my sincerest apologies to you all. Unfortunately the roller coaster that is Life just kept wanting to go on and on and on and I've been spun and twirled enough that I guess I've been finally allowed to get off the ride and put some words down in a new post, so I hope I won't disappoint.

The past few weeks have been anything but fun and I've found myself in new situations - and locations - that I never thought I'd be confronted with. But I guess you never know what's coming around the corner and if I told you I now find myself in the City of London trawling through the streets of suits in a sea of money makers and shakers, even I wouldn't believe it. But through the darkness of the early morning wake ups and the maze of concrete office blocks shines a spark of creativity in otherwise an uncreative environment. Should you derail from the automated following of businessmen marching to and fro between station and office, you will be richly rewarded. In the chaos that is London Wall, near Liverpool Street Station sits the church of All Hallows on the Wall - a sanctuary for reflection and worship as well as a space for contemporary art. Launched in 2006 with a series of commissions to date, Wallspace at All Hallows on the Wall provides a spiritual home for visual arts in London. Unlike many other church-meets-gallery efforts I have visited throughout the country before, if you are lucky enough to notice the small poster on the church noticeboard in the City's chaos, this is an incredibly unique and well executed display within ecclesiastic architecture from the eighteenth-century. In association with Art+ChristianityEnquiry, Wallspace has worked on numerous projects with artists such as Damien Hirst and Angela Wright that inject permanent works of art in religious spaces in Britain. Currently on view is the exhibit, Commission, which looks at fourteen artists and their commissions. Preliminary sketches, maquettes and documentation of the works from Henry Moore to Stephen Walbrook provide an insight to the challenges and process that Wallspace are so strongly committed to. Tracey Emin's neon artwork that was originally produced for Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, infuses the intimate space of All Hallows on the Wall with a calm, pink hue that is absorbed by the ornate, white plaster walls. Spirituality has no label and whether you worship a God or Art, Wallspace provides the perfect balance and an escape from the torment of the outside world. Just don't be surprised if you come across a businessman taking some time out in a pew... he's on a conference call of his own.

Commission runs until the 3rd December 2010
Wallspace
All Hallows on the Wall
83 London Wall
London
EC2M 5ND