15.1.09

New Year New York


I am in New York for a month working on a project with the artist collective Host. I will be researching the work of Patricia Johanson from 1969 when she was asked to create a proposal from the editors of House & Garden, to produce landscape designs for a garden for the magazine. 146 drawings were produced and dealt with metaphysical relationships between nature and humans. I will propose a landscape design for the community garden, 104 St. Garden, that sits in between Central Park West and Manhattan Avenue in the Upper East Side. While living in the neighborhood I will be sourcing inspiration from this area, known as Manhattan Valley, with the views from local residents as well as my own transplantation into the community from England that will lend itself to ideas of a 'British Garden'.

I will continue to document my research and the work produced up to the exhibition opening on February 7th.