30.1.09

Keep Out!


The more I explore the garden at 104th St. and the community gardens I pass while I walk around the city, I can't help but notice the use of wire fencing around their perimeters and how unwelcoming they are. It may just be a cultural thing - decorative, albeit mock-Victorian, wrought iron fences are favored more than wire fencing common for industrial use in England. Throughout America, thousands of miles of wire fencing is used to line baseball sports fields, school grounds, parking lots and prison yards. While decorative wrought iron bars mask windows and doors in urban neighbourhoods - I look down at 104th St. Garden in my apartment through such a myriad of iron.
There is no detaching such an image with ideas of security: does the threat of danger lie behind the fence or is the fence keeping the threat out?