9.11.09

The Number of the Day is... 40

Happy 40th Birthday Sesame Street! Today celebrates the first premiere of the hit American television series back in 1969 that pioneered contemporary educational television for children - its revolutionary concept used the tools of advertising of the time to connect with a younger audience already well-versed in the bright colours and catchy music of TV commercials. I grew up with the Muppets and Co. on the street when I was a kid in the 80s and I'm sure my interest in advertising and my attraction to America is a product of this - so much so I have never forgotten the theme tune and pyschedelic animation of Pinball! The special birthday episode will feature guest appearances from Hollywood stars and from First Lady Michelle Obama, teaching us all that no other TV series is just as relevant today as it was forty years ago - tune in and reminisce here.